A person who has MS will become a surgeon while a person who has done MD will become a physician. A surgeon handles more responsibility than a general physician. Moreover, a surgeon will earn a lot more than a general physician.
Whatever your choice primarily you have to do MBBS then you can go either MD or MS as per your choice.
What is the difference between MS and MD?
MS is Masters in General Surgery while MD is Masters in General Medicine. Both are Post Graduate courses and can be done only after the completion of MBBS. In general term, MD is an area of study of a non-surgical branch while MS is purely a surgical area of study.
The popular specializations of MD and MS are as follows:
MD (Master in General Medicine):
2) Obstetrics Gynaecology
7) Internal Medicine
Ms (Master in General Surgery):
1) Plastic Surgery
2) Pediatric surgery
5) Cardiothoracic Surgery
9) Cosmetic Surgery
10) Cardiac Surgery
What should be your salary package after completing MD and MS?
After completing your Post Graduation, you can either work in hospital or medical college as a teaching faculty or do your chamber. As a teacher in medical college one can easily earn up to Rs 60,000 per month
The salary of a Surgeon entirely depends upon the experience, talent, and skill. A surgeon can earn average up to Rs 1lakh per month after MS
Top Institutes to study MD/MS:
1) AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Science), New Delhi
2) CMC (Christian Medical College), Vellore
3) SGPGI (Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences), Lucknow
4) JIPMER (Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research), Pondicherry
5) PGI (Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research), Chandigarh
6) St John’s Medical College, Bangalore
7) Stanley Medical College, Chennai
8) AFMC, Pune
9) Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
What are the popular career destinations after MBBS?
1) Hospital Management: Hospital Management is the hottest career option for MBBS graduates. The salary package in hospital management is also excellent. IIMs offer this course which promises 100% campus placement. This is the ideal career option for those who don’t work as a physician or surgeon but willing to work as a manager.
2) Clinical Practice: Clinical practice is also widespread among MBBS graduates who don’t want to pursue higher studies but want to set up their clinics. After completing your MBBS, you can start your own nursing home or hospitals as you choice